16 Feb 2020

Nonfiction fix - Matt Haig

I am a huge fiction reader and I love getting lost in a story but I have a big space in my heart for nonfiction usually around the 'self help/development' category.

I thought the first in my Nonfiction fix series should be an author you would have heard of and one that his books have had a huge impact on my life.


Matt Haig has taken the book world and the internet (mainly twitter) by storm in the last 4 years after his book 'Reasons To Stay Alive' was published. He later on published 'Notes On A Nervous planet' and since then he has been a huge figure in the mental health community.


Reasons To Stay Alive :
This book I bought and at first I struggled to get into it , then a few years later I was going through a rough patch and I decided to give it another go. This little book is the dark truths about Matt Haig's discovery of his own mental illnesses and how he has attempted to learn about the ways to treat and look after his mental health. He has a great outlook of life although he is tackling some difficult subjects he adds some humour but also some realness rather than rose tinting situations.


Notes On A Nervous Planet :

This book is more of a look at the world and how it affects our mental health and how we can notice and adjust the way it affects us. Matt Haig talks about how technology, the easy access to the news around the world and also the way shops are set up and how they have contributed to the rise of anxiety and mental illnesses. As someone who struggles with anxiety this book was a breath of fresh air and made me feel less like the world is working against me.

Have you ever read any of Matt Haig's books or any similar nonfiction books ?

No comments:

Post a Comment