4 Feb 2020

January Reads

The first month of 2020 is gone already and I manged to read 9 books so I thought I'd share them with a quick review of each.


Our Stop - Laura Jane Williams 
3 stars
This is a love story based on two mid twenty somethings on the  London underground. It has lots of mixed story lines and shows how little things can be connected. I was expecting more from this book with the hype it had but overall I would give it three stars as it is an easy uplifting read.

The Humans - Matt Haig
4 stars
 Matt Haig does it again, he unravels the human mind and thoughts to lay it all out in a beautiful story that you didn't know you needed. I found myself smirking at this book as it tries to make sense of the human way of life and also found myself with tears in my eyes by the end.

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
4 1/2 stars
I admit I read this because I wanted to see the new film and I wanted to read this classic first. This was a story I wish I had read when I was younger. This version I have doesn't have all the stories of this novel includes. I'm already eyeing up the longer hardback so I can read all about the March sisters.

Dead Like You - Peter James
4 stars
I am currently working through the Roy Grace series and I am a huge Peter James fan. This book though was one of the creepiest and skin crawling stories so far. I love how Peter James's books build and by the end you can not put them down until you see the whole crime unravel. 

Elizabeth Is Missing - Emma Healey
4 stars 
This I bought on a whim from a charity shop but Elizabeth is missing is a though provoking 
read, a view of the life of a 70 year old women with dementia. Emma Healey shows the raw truths of how dementia affects not only the person with the illness but the whole world around them. 

The Hunting Party - Lucy Foley
4 stars
This was a book I hadn't heard of but after getting it as a gift I saw it all over Instagram. This is a who done it kind of set up but also you don't find out who was killed until the end too. I love a good thriller and this was good but I felt it dragged out a bit in the middle.

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
4 1/2 stars
This is a fantasy, but a creepy fantasy which I wasn't expecting. The characters are not what they seem even when you think you've got them sussed. You would think this was a children's book but it had such an emotional and graphic story line that it is definitely more of an adult book/

Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
4 stars
Another thriller I bought after reading Gone Girl but I've only just got round to reading it and wow what a read. There wasn't one character I really enjoyed but there wasn't one I really disliked either. I loved how it was unravelling the crime from years ago and the main character was the one delving into it all. Many secrets are revealed in Dark Places and not many of them I saw coming

Caraval - Stephanie Garber 
4 1/2 stars
Another unexpected read this month, Caraval to me is what I was expecting when I read The Night Circus. There is so much magic and imagination used when reading this. This book hooked me in but then on the next page everything I thought was happening was blown out the water. Caraval is the first in a series and I am already on the next.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment